The Chesapeake Chapter of CAI is an educational and resource organization dedicated to fostering vibrant, competent, harmonious community associations. Members of the Chesapeake Chapter along with the Washington Metro Chapter, serve together on the Maryland Legislative Action Committee (MD-LAC).
The MD-LAC is an arm of the Community Associations Institute (CAI). We represent the interests of our chapter members before state legislatures and agencies on issues such as assessment collection, foreclosures and construction defects.
- MD-LAC members are volunteer homeowners, attorneys, service providers and professional managers who work directly with community associations on a day-to-day basis.
- Members of the MD-LAC and its professional lobbyist are always ready and willing to work with our elected representatives to address issues and, where needed, share our experience with legislation that will benefit community association homeowners.
- Periodically chapter members receive legislative updates requesting their assistance in contacting their legislators regarding specific legislation that impacts the community association industry.
Formed in 1993, the CAI Maryland Legislative Action Committee is a volunteer committee consisting of homeowners and professionals serving community associations. They advocate in Maryland by identifying community associations issues, monitoring pending legislation, and setting legislative priorities. In addition, they build relationships with and educate state legislators, providing invaluable advice when community association issues arise.
Community Association State Statutes & Information Guide
CAI has created a State Statutes and Information Guide to serve as a tool for CAI members to quickly locate information on existing community association related laws within the 50 states. In addition to providing access to state statutes and regulations, the guide also provides a list of links for state specific community association information and resources. Click here to access this guide.
Help Your LAC Raise Funds
Legislative accomplishments would not be possible without the financial support to hire lobbyists who use our resources to engage in efficient grassroots campaigns and advocate for public policy that works in America's community associations. Please take this opportunity to have a voice on legislation that affects community association operations and your business by contributing to the Maryland Legislative Action Committee and donating here: www.caionline.org/LACdonate. For more information, contact CAI's National Headquarters Office at email@example.com.
Resources for Legislative Action Committees
- User Guide to Maryland General Assembly Website
Maryland Condominium Act & Maryland Homeowners Association Act:
Please follow instructions below to view
- Go to the following Web Address http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/mdcode/
- Click on "I agree" if the you wants to access the laws
- After clicking agreement, a web page comes up listing the laws of the state. The Maryland Condominium Act and the Maryland Homeowners Association Act are part of "Real Property"
- The next step is to click on the "plus" sign that is next to "Real Property"
- The Maryland Condominium Act and the Maryland Homeowners Association Act are contained in the expanded listing of the Real Property Code and may be accessed by clicking on them.
Government & Public Affairs Department
Phone: (888) 224-4321
Fax: (703) 970-9558